Garbuz Georgiy Vladimirovich, Candidate of historical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of Russian, state and law history, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The agrarian movement is the most important socio-political process in the Volga region at the beginning of the 20th century, which determines the preservation of interest in various aspects of this problem in Russian historiography for several decades. In this regard, the analysis of the views of the leaders of the provincial state apparatus on the peasant movement in the region during the first Russian revolution, presented in this article, becomes relevant.
Materials and methods. The solution of the tasks set in this work is carried out by applying the comparative historical method to the analysis of documents extracted from the funds of the Russian state historical archive and the state archive of Ulyanovsk region, as well as memoirs of the leaders of the Volga provinces published in Russia and abroad.
Results. The most detailed reports of the governors compiled during the revolution of 1905–1907 and the memoirs of individual representatives of the provincial administration, published later, were studied, the estimates of the peasant movement in various types of documents were compared. The article analyzes the views of local leaders on the causes of the agrarian movement and its features in certain periods of the revolution.
Conclusions. The leaders of the provincial administration quite accurately defined the objective and subjective causes of the agrarian movement in the Volga region during the first Russian revolution, but as representatives of one of the warring parties, they focused on factors related to the activities of their political opponents. They not only singled out, but also sought to explain the features of peasant actions at various stages of the revolution. In official documents, their assessments of government policy are correct and restrained. The authors of memoirs, no longer bound by the restrictions of public service, had more freedom to analyze political and social processes.
agrarian movement, peasant speeches, governors, provincial administration, humble reports, memoirs
1. Dubrovskiy S. M. Krest'yanskoe dvizhenie v revolyutsii 1905–1907 gg. [The peasant movement in the Revolution of 1905–1907]. Moscow: Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1956, 168 p. [In Russian]
2. Senchakova L. T. Krest'yanskoe dvizhenie v revolyutsii 1905–1907 gg. [The peasant movement in the Revolution of 1905–1907]. Moscow: Nauka, 1989, 262 p. [In Russian]
3. Kuz'min A. Z. Krest'yanskoe dvizhenie v Penzenskoy gubernii v 1905–1907 gg. [The peasant movement in the Revolution of 1905–1907]. Penza, 1955, 248 p. [In Russian]
4. Garbuz G. V. Nauka. Obshchestvo. Gosudarstvo [Science. Society. State]. 2019, vol. 7, no. 3 (27), pp. 5–11. [In Russian]
5. Kistanov S. V. Ekonomicheskaya istoriya [Economic history]. 2017, no. 1 (36), pp. 67–76. [In Russian]
6. Razin S. Yu. Novyy istoricheskiy vestnik [New historical bulletin]. 2008, no. 18 (2), pp. 57–63. [In Russian]
7. Koshko I. F. Vospominaniya gubernatora (1905–1914). Novgorod – Samara – Penza [Memoirs of a governor (1905–1914). Novgorod – Samara – Penza]. Petrograd: Sodruzhestvo, 1916, 259 p. [In Russian]
8. Minakov A. S. Uchenye zapiski Orlovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Ser.: Gumanitarnye i sotsial'nye nauki [Proceedings of Orel State University. Series: Humanities and social sciences]. 2011, no. 4 (42), pp. 103–110. [In Russian]
9. Yashvil' L. V. Vospominaniya o Simbirske 1905–1906 [Memories about Simbirsk of 1905–1906]. Kiev: Tip. gubernskogo pravleniya, 1906, 54 p. [In Russian]
10. Naumov A. N. Iz utselevshikh vospominaniy. 1868–1917: v 2 kn. [From surviving memories. 1868–1917: in 2 books]. New York: Izd. A. K. Naumovoy i O. A. Kusevitskoy, 1955, bk. 2, 583 p. [In Russian]
11. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy istoricheskiy arkhiv (RGIA) [Russian State Historical Archive (RGIA)]. F. 1284. Op. 194. 1907. D. 63. [In Russian]
12. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Ul'yanovskoy oblasti (GAUO) [State Archive of Ulyanovsk region]. F. 76. Op. 7. D. 347. [In Russian]
13. RGIA. F. 1263. Op. 4. 1905. D. 49.
14. RGIA. F. B-ka 1 otdeleniya. Op. 1. Ed. khr. 65. Vsepoddanneyshiy otchet penzenskogo gubernatora za 1907 g. [Humble report of the governor of Penza for 1907]. [In Russian]